This showstopping centre-piece is marinated in festive spices to give a fragrant finish that complements the saltiness of the joint.
Glazed in a zesty orange marmalade, the gammon stays wonderfully juicy and glistens under the Christmas glow.
Festive Gammon Joint
Cooking Function: 4D hotAir 170ºC with Medium added Steam, Probe cooked to 70ºC
Prep: 15 minutes, plus overnight marinade
I gammon joint 2-3kg
6 star anise
2 sticks of cinnamon
1 tbsp fenugreek
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp black peppercorns
½ tsp ground ginger
Zest and juice of 2 oranges
2 tbsps maple syrup
2-3 tbsps of marmalade
Juice of 1 orange
1 orange thinly sliced and candied
30g sugar dissolved in 100ml water
12 star anise
Note: No known allergens
1. Place all the marinade spices in a pan and toast for 2-3 minutes to release the flavours. Add orange juice to the pan and warm through with the maple syrup.
2. Add the orange zest and remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Sit the gammon joint in bowl just big enough to fit it in and pour over the cooled marinade.
4. Leave in fridge overnight.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 4D hotAir 170ºC with Medium added Steam.
6. Strain the marinade off the gammon joint through a fine sieve and into a small saucepan.
7. Add juice of 1 more orange and 2 tbsps of marmalade and bring to the boil and reduce by 50%.
8. Roast on 170ºC with Medium steam for 20 mins per 500g + 20 mins or use probe and cook to 60ºC.
9. Remove from oven, cut off the rind (if there is any). Score the fat to an attractive pattern and brush with the glaze. Return to the oven for 30 minutes until fat has crisped and is golden. If using the probe, reset the temperature to 70ºC.
10. To add the finishing garnish, candy the orange slices. Heat the sugar and water until boiling. Add the orange slices and simmer for 10 minutes so that the sugar solution reduces and coats the slices.
11. Remove the slices from the pan onto greaseproof paper to dry.
12. When you are ready to serve, arrange slices on top of the joint and stud with star anise.
13. The size of joint above will serve up to 12. Enjoy as a hot serve on day 1. It is also a perfect meat to slice up and serve cold the day after.